Featured Post

A Journey across India: The call to Adventure

An easy, practical and in-sequence itinerary planner I have travelled the length and breadth of India, and am truly proud of its rich and varied heritage. I am amazed by the tradition and values, the people, festivals, celebrations and the changing landscape. Have you wondered if it's possible to travel across India completely? Most foreigners arriving in India, land in Delhi and then travel the Golden Triangle route first- which is a good decision incase you have limited time at hand and want to make the most of it. The Golden Triangle- Delhi, Agra and Jaipur includes the much hyped Taj Mahal which invariably is part of a tourist's bucket list. This blog on the other hand- is a sequential strategy and detailed 'been there done that' itinerary plan starting from Mumbai. I am sure as we go through this Journey you will understand India better. My experiences are based from the perspective of a - digital nomad, budget backpacker and from a local standpoint. Each Itinerar

Madras-café : living and working in Chennai | TAMILNADU 360°

CHENNAI is most definitely TamilNadu's Big Apple. Listed amongst the TOP 10 fastest growing cities according to FORBES, it is indeed evident by the number of floating white collared migrant workforce from other parts of TamilNadu and India in general. Almost every once in a while there's a big development~ new IT PARKS, manufacturing units, colleges, hospitals and last but not the least high-end residential apartments springing up each year.

Personally, I find it difficult to make a choice between BANGALORE and CHENNAI. Both offer equal job opportunities and scope for growth, especially in the IT Sector.


Previous blog~ Bangalore escapades: living and working in Bangalore


What's in a name: CHENNAI or MADRAS?

Previously known as Madras, the city was named after a fisherman chief from the Mutrasu community that lived here. His name was MUTRASU CHENNAPPA, the original occupant of the site where Fort Saint George stands today. Then, it was just a small settlement of thatched huts skirting the coast. The East India Company eventually arrived here and purchased the site from MUTRASU CHENNAPPA and the place was called 'Chennapatnam' and 'Madras' interchangeably.


Why was Madras renamed to Chennai?

Chennai was the original name, Ie. Chennapatnam or Chennai.


How old is Chennai?

Madraspatnam since 22 aug 1639, a city in its own right has completed 382 years as on 22 aug  2021.

 

living and working in Chennai (a blog)
living and working in Chennai (a blog)


< Day 1 > 

New home New move 

That being said; I'm here for WORK, FUN & TRAVEL across TamilNadu. But the big question is first finding a roof over my head.

Read more~ HOSTEL or INDEPENDENT HOUSE? : CHENNAI goals 


New job New hopes

CHENNAI has 4000+ IT companies and close to 25 Top Class IT parks, making it a promising job avenue for freshers and skilled candidates. If only I had the patience to job hunt at leisure! Instead I called up the first listed company in a local newspaper....

Since this was a new process, I preferred to start with a smaller company hoping to learn the strings. One of the fun parts of working at a foreign process is getting a pseudo name and my ID says my name is Lucy Campbell. 


< 1 month later >

The curse of insomnia

'I can't believe I'm stuck in a night shift again', I thought to myself. Moreover it was a US Pacific time, and staying awake beyond midnight was proving to be difficult.  Struggling with insomnia during the day hours was no less a challenge.  


"I continue staying awake even when I get back home, until I can't bear it any longer and finally hit the bed," said Salma, a colleague. I on the other hand found that wearing bright and colourful clothing keeps one pepped up to a certain extent. Reena thought that was a good Idea especially since we were a minuscule staff.


The major part of the back-end process was done during regular day work hours, leaving us 4 women with the phone calling task to US Insurance companies at night. As odd as it may seem, it actually isn't. Chennai has an ever-growing number of start-ups in the US Healthcare Medical Billing industry who work within their means.


Read more~ Understanding US Healthcare process : Medical Billing


Mahabs 

Mahabalipuram dance festival 2021 : Signs of the PALLAVAS

India dance festival at Mahabs
India dance festival at Mahabs

< an exciting day at the office >

While most days at the office were uneventful, some were Fright Nights for real. 

Read more~ Graveyard shift : ghost stories at the office


ghost stories at the office

With all these cases about ghosts at the office, I had trouble sleeping. but finally did and woke up at 2pm the following Sunday. "Good morninggg" I could hear my new neighbour Ramani's voice over my head. "Oh! sorry I overslept."  I said, realising we had planned to hang out this weekend.
 
 
In a bid to make the best of WHaTever that's left of the weekend, I hurriedly had a quick shower, brushed my hair, wore a pair jeans with a floral top, slip on sandals and we hailed an auto to the new glitzy neighborhood of SIRUSERI.  

Siruseri  


Rains  play spoilsport

The mild winter months from Nov to Jan brings some respite from the sweltering heat, but tis' also the season for cyclonic rains! The tsunami that devastated Coastal TamilNadu along with 17 other countries also took place on 26 Dec 2004. The low pressure causing cyclonic rains brings 'congested' coastal cities like Mumbai and Chennai to a virtual standstill as all low-lying areas are flooded in no time.

Strong cyclonic winds and rain in Chennai.

PITTER-PATTER, splish, splash, drip-drip-drip... Each morning I woke up to the sound of raindrops running down the pane.  Then after a week of continuous rains, I looked outside the window for a sign as Noah did and heard birds chirping again. It was finally time to step outside and shake off the depression.

A glimpse of Chennai at night
dining out to celebrate the end of a week long spell of rains


On the trail of the British Raj  



Office gossip: new developments

< coffee-break >

"I'm planning to put in my resignation"... "No, don't!" replied Salma. "Why?, I want a change of scenery... Is there something more to this" I asked, curious, at the sudden reaction.  "let's talk to Reena, she's the top source for gossip". She replied.
 
office gossip during coffee-break
office gossip during coffee-break

So we gathered around Reena, "I want to know everything. What's the news?" I was excited at what Reena had to say. "Wait till 14th January *Pongal. Management has some news for us", whispered Reena with a sly grin. 

*Pongal is a major festival celebrated in TamilNadu.

Iconic sites & a beach picnic 



< next day >
 
South Indian breakfast~ ghee dosa, sambar and filter coffee
South Indian breakfast~ ghee dosa, sambar and filter coffee


The next day at breakfast, I discussed all that took place at work. Ramani, my neighbor and friend, was most astonished to hear my tale. "Don't worry," she said. "Pongal is approaching soon, and a little bit of festival shopping will cheer you up".

LAST MINUTE FESTIVAL SHOPPING PLANS 



Pongal at the office

Pongal is celebrated amidst pomp and splendor all across and especially in the villages of TamilNadu. Companies in Chennai find this event as a great way to get-together and celebrate. 


It was almost noon and as expected the festivities were underway. The eye-catching decor of colorful earthen pots, floral arrangements and kollam (rangoli) designs was certainly mood uplifting. The centrepiece decor of earthen pots and sugarcane is unique to this festival. The word 'Pongal' in Tamil means 'to boil'. Quite so, I joined the ladies on the terrace as they laid out a conventional stove of bricks and firewood, and began cooking the 'pongal', a dish made of  boiled rice, moong dal (lentils) milk and jaggery. It felt like almost being transported to the fields and countryside of TamilNadu.
 

It felt good interacting with the ladies who worked in the day shift. "No bosses today.." said a girl. "Enjoy haha". Everyone had loosened up to the foot-tapping music 🎶. I got so carried away... we danced till the music stopped. Then from the corner of my eye, I spotted Reena and Salma in a corner looking rather solemn. "Hi ladies you're looking beautiful in saris" I said approaching them. "You too" replied Reena with a half smile. 


I felt guilty that I had almost forgotten about them. "The boss will meet us after lunch," whispered Salma. "Oh!.. Well I'm not doing anything until I've eaten" I replied as the aroma of good food whiffed through the air... 

Meeting with the boss

Uh... I need to catch my breath.... the food was delicious, especially the butter paneer gravy pulao followed by a bowl of pongal. I went overboard today, but we were certainly curious to find out what lay in store... 


"So ladies, how is everything... went on the plesantries.." It was good to have Reena and Salma along for this meeting. "We have decided to discontinue the night shifts for the moment" said the boss and the voice faded  away as I watched Reena's expression. Reena was the tough and intimidating one amongst us. 


"So what have you decided?" I asked her after the meeting. "Will you take the day job offer at half the salary? or quit?"  
 
3 women on loosing their job

"Obviously quit~ they're paying us a month's salary and I have better offers in hand". That sounded swell. I was happy for Reena and for myself. Salma on the hand was visibly upset at hearing the word 'quit' and preferred the day shift job instead.

The best part about being jobless is having plenty of free time. Reena, the genius was able to get the management pay 2 months salary instead of 1. So I invited her to tea the least I could do to appreciate her effort 
 
onion samosas, green chutney and chai (tea)
onion samosas, green chutney and chai (tea)


"Here's your check!" said Reena, slipping the  piece of paper across. "wHaT!! I'm so happy I could cry. Thank you so much Reena" I replied. 
 
 
Dad's right eye cataract surgery was overdue since we left Bangalore.  Chennai just the same is booming as a Health Tourism destination and has excellent hospitals  with some of the best doctors and surgeons. Dad was in and out of the surgery within a day.
 
dad just before his cataract surgery
dad just before his cataract surgery


< 2 weeks later >

Now that dad's right eye post-cataract surgery had healed, he was  looking much better. "Get me a newspaper today," he said, full of optimism. So I did... and even better. "Why don't we also go to the library and check out how well you can read"?  I suggested. So we spent~ A day at the library


Hope you enjoyed this blog. Your comments will be much appreciated. 
 

Back to~ Follow my Journey across India


Comments

  1. Interesting Blog.....Hi! Iam Baju from Chennai. Have seen few of your posts.As of now iam in Hospitality industry. Is there any scope in Travel &Tour industry, to start a business with, especially these Pandamic times.....Any ideas in that regard....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raju
      ~for reading. Regards opportunity in the Tourism sector try ✓ tour operator offering cab services within specific tourism zone. If you provide cost-effective customized cab tours without any loss to yourself. I am sure it will work.. best of luck!

      Delete

Post a Comment