Featured Post

A Journey across India: The call to Adventure

An easy, practical and in-sequence itinerary planner I have travelled the length and breadth of India, and am truly proud of its rich and varied heritage. I am amazed by the tradition and values, the people, festivals, celebrations and the changing landscape. Have you wondered if it's possible to travel across India completely? Most foreigners arriving in India, land in Delhi and then travel the Golden Triangle route first- which is a good decision incase you have limited time at hand and want to make the most of it. The Golden Triangle- Delhi, Agra and Jaipur includes the much hyped Taj Mahal which invariably is part of a tourist's bucket list. This blog on the other hand- is a sequential strategy and detailed 'been there done that' itinerary plan starting from Mumbai. I am sure as we go through this Journey you will understand India better. My experiences are based from the perspective of a - digital nomad, budget backpacker and from a local standpoint. Each Itinerar

Camping at Munroe Island, Kollam : Kerala by train

The initial plan was; head to Varkala and book an extended stay, to catch up with some work. So I logged into Booking.com, sort lowest first and found an eco campsite right on top. I think at the time it was < 300 rs single tent (Note: rates are always subject to change). Since it seemed too good to be true, I booked, they called back and confirmed how to get there etc. So it was true after all !

Previous blog~ Marari beach and Allapuzha backwaters


Alleppey to Muroturuttu (Munroe Island) 

06:30 | ALLEPPEY    08:04 | MUNROTURUTTU (Munroe Is.) daily 2S 55 rs  AC chair car 265 rs

There are several trains from Kollam Jn. Check IRCTC to be sure.

Munroe or Muroturuttu is a group of islands within the Kerala backwaters, 27 kms from Kollam.

From Munroe Is. station, I got an auto, called the property and handed my mobile to the auto guy who then dropped me at the boat point. It wasn't long before their boat came and got me to the campsite.

campsite at Munroe Island- Kollam, Kerala
campsite at Munroe Island- Kollam, Kerala

The best and worst things in life happen when you least expect. Luckily this was the best part. 


The perfect campsite

One look at the campsite, and I knew this is my kinda camping. They had good clean toilets with showers, charging points and a laundry line. The location is breathtaking, the only neighbor was a tiny islet yonder with a stylish-looking house- a guesthouse perhaps.


I had mixed feelings about being the only camper that day, and even though I have never sleepwalked in my entire life, I wondered - what if I did tonight?! 


a campsite beside the backwaters of Munroe Island, Kerala
a campsite beside the backwaters of Munroe Island, Kerala

 

But I laid my worries to rest, and ordered an expensive beer to go with some snacks the caretaker prepared. I then switched on my laptop and played The Good, The Bad & The Ugly- that made me feel much better. 


 

Boating at Munroe island

'It's the boat man' said the caretaker just as 'Ugly' came on the scene. A boat ride through the meandering canals of Munroe island is like turning one page after another of an adventure story book. Keep an eye out for different kinds of fauna that inhabit the seemingly dense mangrove forests. The chirping of birds pervades throughout. I could also see villagers on small islets going about their work- coir making is the main industry here.

(boat ride is additional charge)




Lazing around
As I lay in the hammock relaxing, I wondered how people spend a bomb on a Kerala trip; whereas with a proper planned itinerary, the same thing can be done in less time, money and effort.

From Mahé, Kozhikode (3 days) 👈 Thrissur (3 days) 👈 and then 3 Top Attractions from Thrissur (3 days) 👈 to spending 4 days at Kochi. before heading to Marari beach and Allapuzha backwaters (4 days). At the end of the day, if it's worth it- it's all that matters.
teatime at my campsite located beside the backwaters of Munroe island, Kerala


Dinner was a comforting, home-cooked affair with Kerala boiled rice, fish curry, chilly fry and butter milk- so delicious.
Kerala meal: boiled rice with fish curry, chilly fry and buttermilk
Kerala meal: boiled rice with fish curry, chilly fry and buttermilk
Tip : There are also many other good guest houses and hotels in Munroe islands. You can take your pick.


< Day 2 >

Thangassery lighthouse, Kollam (Quillon)
Munroe island is connected to Kollam Jn. which is the main railway junction to other places in Kerala and the rest of India. Since I didn't need to stay here longer, I left my bag at the cloak room.

Like Kozhikode and Kochi; Kollam is also an ancient port town known for its spice trade. The town also shows signs of British colonial past, which is evident when you see the Thangasseri lighthouse (open all days 11am to 5pm, except Mon).
Thangasseri lighthouse, Kollam (Quillon)
Thangasseri lighthouse, Kollam (Quillon)

This old British lighthouse looks like a vintage Christmas tree. Climbing up the winding stairs does take you to a time in history, when this lighthouse was built in 1902. The wooden staircase is solid and polished, and as you reach the top you can see the brass fittings are just as shiny.

The view from atop the lighthouse is easy to see in the pic below. But the breeze that seems as if it will blow you off your feet can only be experienced.
view from atop Thangassery lighthouse, Kollam (Quillon)
view from atop Thangassery lighthouse, Kollam (Quillon)


It is past noon, and I am now at Kollam Jn. ready for my next destination :

Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks 💞



Comments