Featured Post

A Journey across India: The call to Adventure

An easy, practical and in-sequence itinerary planner I have travelled the length and breadth of India, and am truly proud of its rich and varied heritage. I am amazed by the tradition and values, the people, festivals, celebrations and the changing landscape. Have you wondered if it's possible to travel across India completely? Most foreigners arriving in India, land in Delhi and then travel the Golden Triangle route first- which is a good decision incase you have limited time at hand and want to make the most of it. The Golden Triangle- Delhi, Agra and Jaipur includes the much hyped Taj Mahal which invariably is part of a tourist's bucket list. This blog on the other hand- is a sequential strategy and detailed 'been there done that' itinerary plan starting from Mumbai. I am sure as we go through this Journey you will understand India better. My experiences are based from the perspective of a - digital nomad, budget backpacker and from a local standpoint. Each Itinerar

Thrissur is-more-than Thrissur pooram : Kerala by train

I have met a handful of kind-hearted strangers during the course of my journey. People who went out of their way to make my day. This is the story of Raju, the hero of my 2nd day in Thrissur, who made me see- there’s more to Thrissur than just 'Thrissur pooram'.


Previous blog : Mahé, Kozhikode : Kerala by train


Kozhikode to Thrissur

06:10 | KOZHIKODE     08:28 | THRISSUR  2S 100 rs  AC chair car 325 rs


With a plan to witness Thrissur pooram, I arrived 2 days earlier and found suitable quarters at YMCA. After breakfast, I explored a few nearby places :


Shakthan Thampuran Palace, also called Thrissur museum 

Rama Varma Shakthan Thampuran was King of Cochin, and it was during his reign from 1790 and 1805 AD that this palace was built with a blend of Kerala and Dutch style of architecture. It is now a museum with interesting artifacts, and you can spend a few hours looking around.

Timings : 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM (closed on Monday) Entry Fee : Adult: INR 20, Kids (5-12 years): INR 5, Still Camera: INR 50,Video Camera: INR 25


At another temple I got to see some part of the elephant procession.




Later that evening I visited Paramekkavu Bhagavathy and Vadakkumnathan temple to check the pooram schedule for the next day. Then I saw a local guy coming my way, and I thought I should ask him for an easy way to yet another temple. He showed me the way, and then began chatting, so I thought of getting some tips regarding Thrissur, and the pooram.


He said there’s more to Thrissur than just Thrissur pooram and offered to show me around in his car tomorrow, if I was ok with paying fuel expenses- so we went along with the plan.



< Day 2 >


Before meeting Raju, I visited Our Lady of Dolours Basilica. This is a beautiful church in stately Indo-Gothic style, and I spent some time praying here. Later we had breakfast at a small place across the church.

Our Lady of Dolours Basilica, Thrissur
Our Lady of Dolours Basilica, Thrissur

Just as Raju had said, Thrissur is quite a big place. We drove for almost 30 mins stopping to glimpse through the gates of a mana, an ancestral home of the Namboodiris in Kerala.


mana, Namboodri house at Thrissur
mana, Namboodri house at Thrissur

Until we reached Thriprayar Shree Rama temple. This temple is located on the bank of the river Theevra and looks picturesque from the opposite bank. The idol of Lord Rama can be seen here holding a conch, a disc, a garland, and a bow with his four arms. Since it falls on the pilgrim circuit, It’s fairly crowded. A similar pooram, 21 elephant grand procession, takes place here too during Ekadashi Nov-Dec.


Later we reached the backwaters with a suspension bridge that offered an incredible 360 degree view of the perfect picture that represents Kerala.


Thrissur backwaters view from suspension bridge
Thrissur backwaters view from suspension bridge

We drove on till the beach, what seemed like one to complete the obligatory rites and immerse ashes of the departed. I sadly don’t remember the name.


On our return we passed by vast expanses of paddy fields. Also known as Kole cultivation, it is a type of cultivation adopted in the wetlands from Dec to May, and is a wetland (submerged in water) from June to Nov.  And then another serene and beautiful temple on a hillock, from here we could get a panoramic view of the fields and Thrissur town beyond. In the foreground you can see Thrissur palace.


Thrissur paddy cultivation
Thrissur paddy cultivation

It was late afternoon and since I failed to spot a single place to have a bite I was grateful for an amazing trip and to get dropped off at a nice restaurant for lunch.



< Day 3 >



Thrissur pooram




Next blog : 3 Top Attractions from Thrissur


Comments