Featured Post

A Journey across India: The call to Adventure

An easy, practical and in-sequence itinerary planner I have travelled the length and breadth of India, and am truly proud of its rich and varied heritage. I am amazed by the tradition and values, the people, festivals, celebrations and the changing landscape. Have you wondered if it's possible to travel across India completely? Most foreigners arriving in India, land in Delhi and then travel the Golden Triangle route first- which is a good decision incase you have limited time at hand and want to make the most of it. The Golden Triangle- Delhi, Agra and Jaipur includes the much hyped Taj Mahal which invariably is part of a tourist's bucket list. This blog on the other hand- is a sequential strategy and detailed 'been there done that' itinerary plan starting from Mumbai. I am sure as we go through this Journey you will understand India better. My experiences are based from the perspective of a - digital nomad, budget backpacker and from a local standpoint. Each Itinerar

VELANKANNI (T.N.) : in search of Miracles

VELANKANNI in the Nagapattinam district of Tamil Nadu is one of the most visited places of pilgrimage, after Sri Balaji darshan at Tirupati. Scores of pilgrims from practically every part of India throng to the Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health to offer prayers and seek favors from Mother Mary. 


During our stay in Chennai, it was common to see large numbers of pilgrims in saffron color clothing and with a shoulder bag across them, covering the 300 km distance by foot. These tenacious folks start the journey; end Aug/ early Sept so as to reach VELANKANNI by 8th Sept - ie. the birthday of Mary, mother of Christ.


The rational minded amongst us may dispute-

  • Why can't they just take the bus or train?
  • Why do some even visit every year?
  • Why can't they visit on other days instead- to escape the crowd?

A rational mindset is no doubt an advantage, as the individual has the capability to analyse, criticize, scrutinize and review things from various perspectives. 


A rationale mindset + faith in God 🙏 on the other hand is a deadly combination. It shows that the individual, despite his faith in the divine, has the tenacity to keep mind over matter, operate within the scope of circumstances that are available and in the best interest of humanity and the world at large.

 

Empathy and Compassion is at the heart of Being Human.

Angelpathfinder quotes 

 

A beautiful morning at KODIKKARAI (POINT CALIMERE)
A beautiful morning at KODIKKARAI (POINT CALIMERE), next destination VELANKANNI 

It was a beautiful morning as I greeted the sun from the rooftop at KODIKKARAI (POINT CALIMERE).  It was an amazing trip, leaving me with good memories for a rainy day. My next destination is VELANKANNI- it was about time to see for myself what all the fuss is about. 


A day in search of Miracles

The devout swear that favors made with a humble heart đź’– to Mother Mary bear fruit. For years I mulled on this idea and kept a mental list of all the miracles I needed in my life. I had a feeling of palpable excitement as I set out for VELANKANNI.


The Gothic style church traces its roots to the 16th century Portuguese period, when Mother Mary with the child Jesus appeared to a young buttermilk seller who was lame. He reached out in prayer and was cured of his handicap. Since then the devotion to Mother Mary has continued unabated.

 

Our Lady of Immaculate Conception with the child Jesus, This image is displayed at the Museum of Christian art, Old Goa material - gilt on polychrome wood, gold and diamonds. Period-17th century.

Timings - 

Church is open for visit and prayer from 5.40 am until 6 pm but mass timings are : 9 am- Malayalam, 10 am- English, 11 am- Hindi, 11 am- Tamil 


Orientation and stay options at VELANKANNI

The pilgrimage town of VELANKANNI is certainly not a pretty sight. The sight of environmental degradation and pollution with empty plastic bottles, polythene bags, thrash and dust flying around is quite an eye sore. An estimated 20 million pilgrims overall, and approx 3 million during the festive season in Sept come here annually causing undue strain on this place.


There are several lodges in the range of 500- 700 rs/ night that cater to pilgrims. The rates are definitely better during the normal non-festive days. If you prefer a standard hotel, there are better options in nearby Nagapattinam town. After taking up lodgings at a clean comfy lodge, I decided to explore the place. 


Mundan or Tonsuring head tradition at VELANKANNI 

Similar to pilgrims in saffron clothing, this too is typically a Hindu tradition and has nothing to do with the western inspired Roman Catholic [Christian] faith. After all, who can stop pilgrims from expressing their devotion in the way they know best!


If you ask me; I think a bad haircut is far better than a bald head anyday.


What happens to the shaven hair at VELANKANNI?

Some say mundan shops at pilgrimage sites like these run a thriving business. The hair is sold to the wig manufacturing industry. 

 If you, the reader, have any other inputs regarding this, do comment below and let us know...

A day in search of Miracles: VELANKANNI, Tamil Nadu (blog)
A day in search of Miracles: VELANKANNI, Tamil Nadu (blog)


A unique & profound spiritual experience

With a list of favors firmly in my left hand and a bunch of candles in my right; I shuffled along the disorderly queue of fellow-pilgrims. A singular emotion of hope, humility and a prayer in every heart was palpable as we lit our candles out of a flame here, and a flame there. 

 

Taking a cue from the rest, I sat on the floor. After finding my sweet spot I felt now was a good moment to begin my prayers - And there it was!! I suddenly went blank!  

 

Instead, it seemed as if I could hear the thought of an important political figure who's presently (no more) telling me to pray for a greater cause (that I don't wish to mention in this blog). And so I prayed with ease and without any desperation since this prayer had nothing to do with me.

 

The greatest miracle is knowing, experiencing and understanding more than I did yesterday.

Angelpathfinder quotes

 

VELANKANNI church at night
VELANKANNI church at night 


It was now late, the full moon shone in all its brilliance as I got back to my lodge.

 

Next blog ~ Road to THANJAVUR : an ancient historic town

Friends, if you enjoyed reading my blog, comment and share your thoughts. Bye for now!

 

Comments