Featured Post

A Journey across India: The call to Adventure

An easy, practical and in-sequence itinerary planner I have travelled the length and breadth of India, and am truly proud of its rich and varied heritage. I am amazed by the tradition and values, the people, festivals, celebrations and the changing landscape. Have you wondered if it's possible to travel across India completely? Most foreigners arriving in India, land in Delhi and then travel the Golden Triangle route first- which is a good decision incase you have limited time at hand and want to make the most of it. The Golden Triangle- Delhi, Agra and Jaipur includes the much hyped Taj Mahal which invariably is part of a tourist's bucket list. This blog on the other hand- is a sequential strategy and detailed 'been there done that' itinerary plan starting from Mumbai. I am sure as we go through this Journey you will understand India better. My experiences are based from the perspective of a - digital nomad, budget backpacker and from a local standpoint. Each Itinerar

My adventures at Wayanad | Top 5 Wayanad things to do

'Wayanad is an exclusive tourism destination, and the only stay options are high-end resorts', said Raj another trekker, as he passed me a bottle of non-alcoholic wine and munchies. The evening passed peacefully, as we sat around a bonfire during my Nishani motte trek. Needless to say, I didn't believe him one bit, although I did wonder why he said so?

Previous blog : My-best wildlife sightings 🐯 in India

 

The Wayanad region of Kerala, I had read~ is a contiguous segment of the Nilgiri biosphere area. It is also a land of wild elephants, a paradise for trekkers and made up of vast tea, coffee and spice plantations. I had to come up with a Wayanad vacation plan to defy the odds. So here's what I did...

 

My adventures at Wayanad (a blog)
My adventures at Wayanad (a blog)


< Day 1>

Mysore --> Nagarhole NP --> Iruppu falls --> Thirunelli temple (4 hrs/ 140 km)

I joined a package tour on a safari to Nagarhole NP, Iruppu falls and finally Thirunelli Vishnu temple.

 

#1 A safari at Nagarhole NP 

Read : My-best wildlife sightings: Nagarhole NP safari

After the safari, we exited via Kutta and were moving onward to Iruppu falls. As I looked outside the minivan, it seemed we were passing through stark forested areas. A few exclusive resorts could be seen here and there, and nothing else of interest. 'Will my secret plan work afterall?' I wondered...

#2 bathing at Iruppu falls 

So Iruppu falls is further 12 kms from Nagarhole safari gate. 'The falls are part of the Brahmagiri forest, and there is a trekking trail from here that leads to the top of the Brahmagiri mountain range', said our tour guide. After a lunch break, we spent a good time bathing under the falls.

Tip~ the best time for waterfalls is post-monsoon, when the falls are in full spate.

 

bathing under Iruppu falls
bathing under Iruppu falls

 

Just as TalaKaveri is the source of the river Cauvery, similarly Iruppu is the source of Lakshmana Tirtha, a tributary of Cauvery. That also means it's flowing through a forest which is rich in medicinal and herbal properties. With the cold water 💦 flowing over my head, it felt like a novel spa experience

#3 Thirunelli Vishnu temple

Thirunelli Vishnu temple at the foothills of Brahmagiri, Wayanad KERALA
Thirunelli Vishnu temple at the foothills of Brahmagiri, Wayanad KERALA

 

This temple is located at the foothills of the Brahmagiri mountain range. One look at this humble stone and wood structure will take you back in time. It is said to have existed since 962 to 1019 CE and is an important place of pilgrimage in Kerala. There is a water tank adjacent to the temple, called Papanasini (remover of sins) where devotees take a self-purifying dip.

The plan was to stay back, instead of returning to Mysore. So while everyone was busy with darshan, I had a quick look around the temple area, and was lucky to find a home (family) nearby who hosts needy pilgrims for a pittance of 100 rs per person. The room was simple with wooden beds, chattai, pillow and bedsheets. So we bid farewell to the group before retiring for the night.

Tip : Wayanad region is never too hot during summer, and usually chilly at night, so carry at least a sweater.

 

< Day 2 >

Thirunelli --> Mananthvady (1 hr/ 26 km)

Mananthvady is a busy town and ideal hub, well-connected to other places of interest. But if whatever Raj  said about 'only high-end resorts' was true, I would have to board a bus back to my pad in Mysuru.  As I alighted the bus, and after 15 mins of asking people, I found a simple but clean decent lodge in the market area itself.

Parakkal Guest house >> Rs. 280/- (private single room). The rooms are clean and comfortable with a geyser and TV. I was overjoyed. There are few restaurants around who offer affordable authentic food. The Kerala fish thali on banana leaf at just 125 rs was delicious and unlimited. I decided to stay put at this lodge for 2 days at least.

#4 Exploring Kuruvadweep and bamboo rafting

Kuruvadeep (islet) is situated 15 km away from Mananthavady, Timings: 9:00 am to 3:30 pm. The island is only open from Oct to May, and is submerged under water during the remaining months. Probably that is why it was crowded with picnickers mostly from other parts of Wayanad. After a 20 mins walk through a bamboo cum botanical forest, there is a stream. The location was serene, so I sat there a while soaking my feet in the crystal clear water. The stream bed is made of pebbles and rocks which are completely covered in slippery moss. Kids were having a fun time 🤠 wading through and falling down with a thump in the shallow water.

A refreshing stream at Kuruvadweep in Wayanad KERALA
A refreshing stream at Kuruvadweep in Wayanad KERALA


So I decided to take upon a challenge ~ putting the backpack on my head, I began wading and balancing through with utmost caution, first one foot 👣 finding a non-slippery surface, then another, slowly and steadily... I waded  to the other end of the stream and back successfully. I didn't slip not once, what an Achievement it was!

Walking further down is the bamboo rafting start point. The rafts ferry people to the other end of the Kabini river among the small breakaway estuaries. Basically these are mud and soil typical mangrove like clusters with a rich variety of snails and fish swimming and squirming around. That's all! Personally if you ask my opinion, I have found the Poovar backwaters in coastal Kerala, a far more awesome experience.

A refreshing stream at Kuruvadweep in Wayanad KERALA
A refreshing stream at Kuruvadweep in Wayanad KERALA

It was almost lunchtime, I got back on the road~ a long lonely street and I wondered where did all the people disappear? After a while I saw an elderly man and asked him if this is the correct way.. and he directed me to continue ahead. I did and further down there was a row of local seasonal restaurants. I stopped for lunch here and ordered a meal with an extra portion of fried fish and buttermilk.

#5 Trekking trails in Wayanad

My pick of the Top 2 most adventurous trekking trails in Wayanad are ~

Brahmagiri hills trek


A trek to the peak of Brahmagiri hills in Wayanad, KERALA
A trek to the peak of Brahmagiri hills in Wayanad, KERALA

 

Chembra Peak trek

  

A trek to Chembra peak in Wayanad, KERALA


Back to : Short trips from Mysore


Comments