Featured Post

A Journey across India: The call to Adventure

An easy, practical and in-sequence itinerary planner I have travelled the length and breadth of India, and am truly proud of its rich and varied heritage. I am amazed by the tradition and values, the people, festivals, celebrations and the changing landscape. Have you wondered if it's possible to travel across India completely? Most foreigners arriving in India, land in Delhi and then travel the Golden Triangle route first- which is a good decision incase you have limited time at hand and want to make the most of it. The Golden Triangle- Delhi, Agra and Jaipur includes the much hyped Taj Mahal which invariably is part of a tourist's bucket list. This blog on the other hand- is a sequential strategy and detailed 'been there done that' itinerary plan starting from Mumbai. I am sure as we go through this Journey you will understand India better. My experiences are based from the perspective of a - digital nomad, budget backpacker and from a local standpoint. Each Itinerar

Brahmagiri hills, Wayanad trek highlights | The best treks in Wayanad

"A jam bun and black coffee, please", this was my 5th day at Mananthavady and  the proprietor of  my favorite cafe was accustomed to seeing me most evenings. So today, I considered putting forward a question I had in mind all along, "Which are the best treks in Wayanad?", (pause) this was a long shot...

"Brahmagiri hills and Chembra peak", he replied, with utmost ease. Wayanad is a trekkers paradise, and locals are the most trusted source. The proprietor also gave me the contact details of a guide for the Brahmagiri hills trek.

 

Previous blog~ My Adventures at Wayanad

Wayanad's Brahmagiri trek highlights

Trek start point~ Thirunelli temple
Terrain~ Steep and Shola grasslands   Altitude~ 1600 to 1800 m
Trail distance~ 15km approx/  6- 7 hours to & fro
Level~ Easy to Moderate


< Day 1 >

A cabin in the woods

The trek organized this time was different in a way. The group was smaller and the choice of accommodation at the higher end [Pugmarks jungle lodge, Wayanad]. Needless to say, it was double the average 1200 rs when accompanying a busload of trekkers. I was given a cozy log cabin, a privilege for being the only woman on this trek. So I felt it was still a good deal.

A cabin in the woods
A cabin in the woods
 

The evening passed pleasantly, a bottle of good wine was passed around, while the resort's special Kerala dinner on banana leaf was an elaborate spread and every single item served was delicious 😋.

A scrumptious Kerala meal at Wayanad
A scrumptious Kerala meal at Wayanad


< Day 2 >

An introduction to Brahmagiri hills

Brahmagiri hills of Wayanad is part of the Nilgiris biosphere and contiguous to the nearby hills of Tadiandamol in Coorg. The terrain is mostly shola grasslands. The hills abide in wildlife such as elephants and deer.

Tip~ The forest is leech infested during monsoons.

 

The initial nature trail

Brahmagiri hills forest, Wayanad
Brahmagiri hills forest, Wayanad

Is a moderately dense forest, not one you can get lost in but delightful to trek through.  The foliage is beautiful with some natural streams along the path. I was just glad we didn't see any leeches at this time of the year. We continued walking until the watchtower. There is also a jeep track till the watchtower.

 

Tip~ Trek slots are only mornings 7.30, 8, 8.30 & 9 a.m. Mon and Fri closed. Trek cost 2400rs for a group of 4, 315rs for each extra person.

The power of the mountains is that it compels us to climb. The power of the human spirit is the longing to rise above the struggles of life.

 

The progressing steep trail

Midway along the trail was a progressive steep climb and I wished with all my heart that it should be a few minutes, nothing more. We climbed a long way and even went ahead of the watchtower. My heart was now beating faster than normal, and my throat (thyroid glands) was hurting. This being my 8th trek, and although I have developed good footwork and balance, I was sure now~ the reason for getting breathless too soon has to be my thyroid condition.

That was a really disturbing thought. I slowed down my pace taking more than required breaks, feeling truly sad and guilty of slowing down a really enjoyable trek. But the group was extremely encouraging and supportive. They also had two local guides, one of whom carried my backpack. Further, we had one tricky patch with powdery dry earth and nothing to get a grip on, it was scary but the local guides proved really helpful and we got by.

 

the gentle slopes of Brahmagiri hills, Wayanad
the gentle slopes of Brahmagiri hills, Wayanad

My favorite part of the trail ❤️

These gentle slopes began, which seemed to go on for miles~ a completely new world above. It's a sight to behold and I'm sure the landscape would be a carpet of greenery soon after the monsoons. Unlike Tadiandamol hills and Nishani motte, we were the only group on these hills. My heart rate stabilized and it was a relaxing, enjoyable walk for about 2 km, but I secretly wanted this part of the trail to go on forever. I glanced around hoping that at least a gazelle would pop out from somewhere.

 

A moment of Nirvana

 
atop Brahmagiri hills, Wayanad KERALA
atop Brahmagiri hills, Wayanad KERALA

Atop the Brahmagiri hills range, is a whole new world. It's true that only we who climb can experience this world!

Tip~ camping 🏕️ is not allowed in the Brahmagiri hills. Trekkers need to get back by the end of day.

 


We brought out our lunch packs now and spent a good time at the peak, taking selfies and pics, and just having a good time. The descent is more challenging than the climb. It took another 1-2 hours to get to the bottom of the hills.

It's past 5.30 pm. I am back to my previous lodge at Mananthavady, and hope to get maybe a 🍩 and at the cafe. After that a steaming hot shower and then watch a movie on my pad.

Explore this blog and send in your comments 👍 Bye!!

Next blog~ The ❤️ of Wayanad : Chembra peak trek highlights

Comments