Featured Post

A Journey across India: The call to Adventure

An easy, practical and in-sequence itinerary planner I have travelled the length and breadth of India, and am truly proud of its rich and varied heritage. I am amazed by the tradition and values, the people, festivals, celebrations and the changing landscape. Have you wondered if it's possible to travel across India completely? Most foreigners arriving in India, land in Delhi and then travel the Golden Triangle route first- which is a good decision incase you have limited time at hand and want to make the most of it. The Golden Triangle- Delhi, Agra and Jaipur includes the much hyped Taj Mahal which invariably is part of a tourist's bucket list. This blog on the other hand- is a sequential strategy and detailed 'been there done that' itinerary plan starting from Mumbai. I am sure as we go through this Journey you will understand India better. My experiences are based from the perspective of a - digital nomad, budget backpacker and from a local standpoint. Each Itinerar

Bhatkal, Murudeshwar, Maravanthe beach : Coastal Karnataka

The town of Bhatkal along the coast of Karnataka often goes unheard of; unless there’s a damn good reason you need to stop by.

I certainly did! After having visited Jog falls the previous day, I decided to take the bus to Bhatkal as I needed to go further south.

Bhatkal, Murudeshwar, Kundapura- blog

Bus ride from Jog falls to Bhatkal

The bus passes through the Western ghats and your phone is likely to lose all signal, unless you’re using BSNL. It was a test of patience (for me), and admiration (for the bus services) that ply on this route and of course the folks who live in these forests.

I finally reached my destination, with a headache! 😭

Stay options are not so great in Bhatkal. After looking around for a long time I found a reasonably clean place for 600rs (I think).

Tip : Gokarna is probably the only place along Coastal Karnataka where you can find reasonably cheap stay options (backpacker hostels). All other places until Mangalore you can find typical hotel rooms in the range of 600rs and above.


Bhatkal’s infamous Dubai market or Mirchi gully

It was late afternoon, after a shower and change- in the hope of finding a decent meal, I asked a few people for the market. That’s when I chanced upon this lane that sold imported goods - from an assortment of branded chocolates, cheese, dry fruits and various other canned food stuff that cost far less than the stores. Surprisingly, I didn’t find anything of interest.

Dubai market or Mirchi gully, Bhatkal
Dubai market or Mirchi gully, Bhatkal

My headache got much worse, so I asked the guys at the desk to arrange some food, an aspirin and a tumbler of warm milk to help me sleep.


< Day 2 >

The temples of Bhatkal

It is always nice when you expect little but find something of antiquity- just like the temples of Bhatkal. The sculptures and frescos were well preserved and also had a pandit that lived within the temple premises. Sadly I don’t know the names.


Murudeshwar

Location - 12 kms north of Bhatkal

Murudeshwar is a place of pilgrimage and home to the second tallest statue of Lord Shiva (123 ft) in the world. As you would expect Murudeshwar is crowded with pilgrims year round and there are some facilities like a luggage counter to keep your bags, baths and changing rooms.

The Rajgopuram is a new structure of concrete, along with the life-size elephants that guard the steps. There is something about this place, I thought to myself- as stepping into the temple immediately puts you at rest - peace pervades within the temple complex. There was no sign of long queues. An ancient smaller temple existed within.

After darshan, you can walk towards the temple balcony that overlooks the beach.

Murdeshwar temple, Karnataka
Murdeshwar temple, Karnataka

There is also a restaurant almost adjoining the temple. It was quite hot, so I ordered  gadbad ice cream i.e. more than one flavor of ice cream, nuts, chopped fruits, jelly, syrup & tutti frutti. It's served layered in a tall glass. The sight of people having a good time in the sea is a nice timepass.


Maravanthe beach

There is a tiny stretch from Kundapura to Maravanthe, where the bus literally drives along the edge of the sea.

bus driving on the coast from Kundapura to Maravanthe
bus driving on the coast from Kundapura to Maravanthe

Maravanthe beach was practically empty, so I was able to get some sunset pics on here with no one in the background.




Kodachadri trek highlights : The wild Western ghats

I do hope you enjoyed this blog. If you have any questions then leave a comment below or get in touch in the About Me section.


Bye for now!




Comments